Title:  Green Eyes

Author:  Froxyn

Rating:  FRM

Pairing:  Buffy/Giles

Timeline:  Sometime after Joyce died. Dawn actually does exist in this story.  Otherwise, as most of my stories, this one is AU.

Synopsis:  Changes happen in life.  Sometimes it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Author’s Notes:  Thank you wyvernwolf!  Also, this was inspired by the song Green Eyes by Coldplay.  Lyrics and the song can be found here if you’re curious. 

 

 

 

Giles looked down at her and smiled.  Her body still glistened, though the sweat was slowly drying from her skin.  He lightly fingered her damp hair as she slept.  He leaned into her and brushed his lips across her forehead.

 

“I love you, Buffy.”

 

Buffy smiled in her sleep and he chuckled softly.   He inhaled deeply, content to watch her sleep for a while.  When the words started forming in his head, he pushed himself up.  His intent was to go downstairs and write the words down.  Her arm tightened around his waist and she snuggled closer to him.

 

Not wanting to disturb her, he slowly reached over to the bedside table and quietly pulled a worn spiral notebook out of the top drawer that he had watched her place inside earlier.  She mumbled incoherently as he moved.  After finding a pen, he glanced down at her, hoping he hadn’t caused her to wake.

 

Luckily, he hadn’t.  He watched her for a few more minutes, his fingers idly stroking her hair.  He hadn’t expected this tonight.  He had only came over to talk…to tell her the truth behind his recent irritability and slight avoidance of her. 

 

He had known that Dawn was at a friend’s house for a sleepover.  He had also been aware that the Hellmouth had been unusually quiet for the past few days.  He had been hoping that she’d be able to spare a few minutes. 

 

He hadn’t expected her to share his feelings.  And he certainly hadn’t expected her to take him to her bedroom.

 

His smile widened as he uncapped the pen and opened the notebook to a blank page.

 

* * *

 

Buffy woke slowly, sensing the sun shining through the window.  As she shifted, she felt warm arms around her…and an equally warm chest pressed against her back.  She opened her eyes and felt his warm breath ghost across her shoulder as he slept.  Smiling, She looked down at his hand, tracing the onyx ring with her fingertip.

 

She felt her heart swell with love for him.  She’d loved him for years.  As it turned out, he’d loved her for nearly as long.  Why they hadn’t discussed it earlier, she didn’t know.  She furrowed her brow and shook her head slightly.  No, she knew.

 

There had always been an apocalypse, or a demon to chase, or a boyfriend of hers…or an old lover of his…in their way.  They had both denied it for so long that it had just become second nature.  To love, but not to act on it.

 

But, last night…

 

She smiled and turned in his arms causing him to shift in his sleep, rolling onto his back. His left arm was lying across his stomach with his fingers lightly touching her arm. His right hand still held her, his hand resting warmly on her hip.

 

She watched him sleep, her eyes drawn to his lips.  She had seen him kiss women before, could see the passion he put behind his kisses.  But, to be the recipient of his kisses…to feel his passion as his lips and tongue tasted her mouth…

 

She shivered, suddenly very aroused from the mere thought of kissing him.

 

She nearly gave into her urge, leaning over him and feeling his warm breath against her lips.  But seconds before she would have kissed him, her eyes caught sight of the open notebook on the bedside table.  Realizing that the handwriting she could see did not belong to her, she reached over and picked it up.

 

* * *

 

Giles woke to find her sitting up next to him, her back resting against the headboard with the sheet tucked under her arms, covering her bare body.  His hand found her thigh under the covers and she jumped, slightly startled.

 

“Sorry.”  He mumbled as he sat up beside of her, dragging his hand through his hair.  “Been awake long?”

 

She shook her head slowly and looked at him as she held the notebook up.  “When did you do this?”

 

He cleared his throat.  “Last night…after you, uh…well, you were asleep…”

 

Her fingers trembled slightly as she handed the notebook to him.  “My eyes are hazel.”

 

He nodded in agreement as he took the book and glanced down at the words he had written the previous night.  “Normally, yes.”

 

“Giles – ”

 

“They were green as we made love.”  He whispered softly.  “A dark, nearly emerald green.  The most beautiful color I believe that I’ve ever seen your eyes.”

 

“Oh.”  She swallowed and gestured towards the open page.  “So, uh…that is about me?”

 

He looked up quickly, confusion showing in his eyes.  “Who else would it be, Buffy?  I told you last night – ”

 

She cut off his words with a kiss.  He hesitated only a moment before giving in to her.  His lips parting as her hand slid through his hair.  He pulled the sheet from her body, carefully lowering her back to the mattress and leaning over her.

 

His left hand slowly moved down her body, heating her skin with his touch as his tongue caressed hers.  When he felt her fingers touch his erection, he pulled away from the kiss and gazed into her eyes.

 

She gasped at the intensity she saw in his eyes.  “You meant it…”

 

He tilted his head at her softly spoken statement.  She smiled, lifting her hand to caress the side of his face.

 

“What you wrote.”

 

He smiled shyly as he gave her a subtle nod.  “Every word.”

 

She leaned up, lightly kissing his lips.  “What color are my eyes now?”

 

He moved between her thighs and brushed the hair back from her face.  “Green.”

 

Her hands moved to his shoulders as she eased back down onto the mattress.  “Must mean I’m happy…”

 

“That’s good to know.”  He whispered as he leaned down, placing soft kisses along her jaw.  “Very good to know.”

 

When she tilted her head to the side, baring her neck to him, a low groan rumbled in his chest.  With the lives they led, he knew that it was the ultimate sign of trust for her to make such a gesture.

 

Her fingers gripped his back as his teeth nipped at her neck.  “God, Giles…I love you.”

 

His mouth moved up her sensitive neck, teeth grazing her skin as his tongue tasted her flesh.  When he reached her ear, he kissed her earlobe and sighed heavily.

 

“I love you too.”  He pushed himself up and looked down at her, his erection hot and heavy as he gently rocked his hips against her.  “Christ, I want you.”

 

She lifted her legs over his hips and groaned softly at the contact.  “Make love to me, Giles.”

 

He smiled and lowered his head to kiss her.  His lips were millimetres from hers, close enough that he could almost taste her, when they were interrupted by a pounding on the door.  Giles jumped, the head of his cock pushing against her clitoris forcefully, making Buffy bite her lip in order to stifle her groan.

 

“Buffy?  You in there?”

 

“Uh…yeah.”  Buffy called out as Giles lowered his head to the crook of her neck.

 

“Listen, Giles’ car’s here, but he’s not.  You don’t think he could be in trouble or anything, do you?”

 

Giles chuckle was muffled against Buffy’s skin.  Buffy started to say she’d be right out when she heard the doorknob turn.  Before Buffy could say or do anything, the door opened.

 

Dawn gasped at the sight of Giles lying on top of her sister and quickly slammed the door shut.

 

“Um…yeah, guess he’s not in trouble.  Um…okay, so I’ll be downstairs…”

 

Buffy lowered her legs and groaned in annoyance as a heavily flushed Giles moved to her side.  “Sometimes, I really hate having a sister…”

 

Giles cleared his throat.  “Perhaps you should, uh…go downstairs and talk to her?”

 

Buffy’s eyes widened as she stared at him.  “By myself?  You have just as much explaining to do as me, you know…”

 

He nodded slowly and gestured towards his groin.  “Yes, however…I can’t very well go down in this state, can I?”

 

She thought for a moment and then smiled.  “Or…I could help you take care of that and then we could both go talk to her.”

 

“Buffy…”

 

She pouted at the disapproving tone of his voice.  “Fine.  But…you’d better not be long.  Because she’s gonna have all kinds of questions that I’ll need you to help answer.”

 

He smiled as she climbed out of bed and quickly dressed.  He propped himself up on his elbow and watched as she pulled a brush through her knotted hair.  When she had her hand on the doorknob, he called her name softly.

 

She turned to look at him, feeling her heart melt at the tender look in his eyes.  “Yeah?”

 

He wet his lips with the tip of his tongue and took a deep breath.  “I have two goals in my life at the moment.”

 

She arched an eyebrow at him, a little confused at his statement.  “Yeah?”

 

“My main goal is to keep you alive as long as possible.”  Hearing her soft gasp, he pushed himself up to a sitting position, the sheet draped over his waist.  “The second…to keep your eyes that shade of green for the rest of your life.”

 

Tears welled in her eyes and she took a step back towards the bed.  “Giles…”

 

He swallowed thickly, knowing that if she took another step towards him it would be hours before either one of them were able to go downstairs and face Dawn.  He shook his head slowly and gestured to the door.

 

“I’ll be down shortly.”

 

She gave him a smile and inhaled deeply.  “I really love you.”

 

His smile grew as he watched her open the door and quickly leave the room.  He leaned against the headboard and sighed.  He glanced at the open notebook as he waited for his erection to subside.  He leaned over and picked up the pen.

 

He reread his words and, with a surprisingly steady hand, added five words to the bottom of the page.

 

For Buffy.  Love always, Giles.

 

He opened the drawer and slipped the notebook and pen back inside.  He glanced down at his groin and gave an almost sad sigh when he realized his erection had faded.

 

“Suppose it’s time to face the music then.”  He mumbled to himself as he climbed out of bed.

 

He dressed quickly and moved towards the door.  As he opened it, he glanced back at the bed and grinned.  Life was full of surprises.  And with Buffy by his side, life would be anything but dull.

 

He chuckled as he heard Dawn squeal happily.  He closed the door and made his way downstairs, knowing that his life had taken a drastic change last night.  And as he stepped into the living room and Dawn launched herself into his arms, he looked at Buffy and smiled.

 

It was a welcome change and one that he would embrace fully.

 

 

~ End

 

Return to Fic Index