Title:  Hang

Author:  Froxyn

Rating:  FRT

Pairing:  Buffy/Giles

Timeline:  A few years post-series, AU.

Synopsis: Sometimes, there’s nothing left to do.

Author’s Note:  Album fic.  Song and lyrics can be found here.

 

 

She felt no anger as she packed her bags.  The anger had left days ago.  Problem was, nothing had replaced the anger and she was left feeling empty.  And that was when she decided she should go. 

 

There was a sadness as she carried her bags downstairs.  She thought once about taking a couple of pictures from the wall...but decided against it.  Having pictures of them would just make things much harder than they really needed to be.

 

With a heavy sigh, she walked out the front door.  She wasn’t surprised to find him sitting on the steps to the front porch, a cigarette held loosely between his fingers.  But what did surprise her was the fact that he didn’t look up at her when she stepped onto the porch.

 

“I, uh...I think I have everything.”  She stated softly, shifting the bag on her right shoulder.

 

He nodded slowly and took another drag off the cigarette.  “If you’ve forgotten anything, let me know.  I’ll...set it aside or...”

 

He trailed off and flicked the cigarette butt into the front yard.  He stood up and finally met her eyes, not bothering to hide his sadness or resignation to the fact that this relationship was coming to an end.

 

“If you need anything...anything at all, I’ll...”  He lowered his eyes and sighed.  “I’m sorry we couldn’t make it work, Buffy.”

 

“At least we tried.”  Buffy whispered and bit her lip.  “For what it’s worth...I’m sorry too, Giles.”

 

He gave her a gentle nod and then moved past her and stepped into the house.  It was bad enough knowing that she was leaving.  He didn’t have it in him to actually watch her drive out of the driveway of the house they had shared for the past two years.

 

As he closed the door, she fought back her tears and walked down the steps.

 

* * *

 

He stood in the doorway to the living room, his eyes roaming over the walls.  She hadn’t bothered to take even one of the pictures.  He swallowed thickly and leaned against the doorframe.

 

He knew that her reasons for leaving were different than the ones he had for letting her leave.  And as he looked at the empty coat rack, he realized why she believed that her reasons outweighed his.  The tears that he had been holding in for the past two days finally broke free.

 

He wiped the tears from his face when he heard her start the engine.  When he didn’t hear the car pull out of the driveway, he looked out the window.  And when he saw her sitting there, her head resting on the steering wheel, he made a decision.

 

His heart raced as he flung the door open and ran down the front porch steps. 

 

* * *

 

Buffy’s sobs started as she reached down to shift the car into reverse.  She didn’t want to leave.  She didn’t want to end their relationship.  But, they were at a point where they couldn’t see eye to eye on anything. 

 

Her Slaying, his Watching...whether or not to get married, have children...stay here or move to the city...get a cat or a dog.  They couldn’t agree on anything anymore.  And that was what had pushed her into a screaming match with him...over whether to have Christmas here in England or in New York with Willow and Xander.

 

She was so caught up in her thoughts that she didn’t hear the car door open and she didn’t seem to notice the engine cut off.  However, she did feel his arms slide around her and she turned towards him...wrapping her arms around his neck as her body heaved with her sobs.

 

“Christ, love...”  He murmured, holding her tightly as his own tears fell.  “Don’t go...”

 

“Come with me.”  She mumbled into his soft, woollen sweater.

 

With those three words, everything clicked into place in Giles’ head.  He knew what he wanted, what he needed...and that was Buffy.  And he suddenly knew what was holding him back from everything he wanted and needed...and that was himself.

 

He pulled back slightly and tilted her face upwards until he could look into her eyes.  His thumbs brushed through the tears on her cheeks and he inhaled deeply.

 

“Where do you want to go?”

 

Buffy’s eyes widened at his tenderly asked question.  It was the first time in months that their opposing views hadn’t caused a volatile argument.  He wanted to stay, she wanted him to come with her.  Considering the recent trend, they should’ve been screaming at each other by now.

 

But, instead...he had asked her where she wanted to go.  And he hadn’t demanded that she see his way of thinking. 

 

That was all she wanted...and that was all she needed.

 

Her fingers curled against the back of his neck as she sniffled.  “Home.  I want to go home...with you.”

 

He nodded slowly and bent his head, brushing his lips across hers and tasting her tears.  She kissed him back, deepening the kiss briefly when she felt a tear drip from his cheek to land on hers.

 

He helped her out of the car and pulled her bags from the back seat.  It would be a long night...they had much to work through.

 

* * *

 

March...six months later...

 

Working through their problems hadn’t been easy.  But, it had been well worth it.

 

They had spent a few weeks in New York with Willow and Xander at Christmas...or Christukkah as Xander had taken to calling the holiday period.  For Buffy’s birthday, Giles had brought home the tiniest, cuddliest kitten he could find...smiling adoringly at her as he placed the sleeping furball in her arms.  When she announced that the kitten was the best present he could’ve gotten her, he dropped to one knee in front of her.

 

She had amended her earlier statement as he slipped the diamond solitaire onto her finger.

 

They had decided to move from the green countryside, but had also decided not to live in London proper.  The house they chose was close enough to the city that they could make the trip in easily enough, but far enough that they could still take advantage of the quiet life that he had wanted to maintain.

 

As a housewarming present, she presented him with a puppy...who was currently being taught that not everything in life is a chew toy.  The puppy and the kitten had become fast friends, something that had amazed Buffy.

 

It was date night tonight...they’d gone out for dinner and had planned on taking in a movie.  But, Buffy had asked if it would be okay if they just rented one and came home.  Giles had been very amenable to that idea.

 

And now, Buffy was curled up on the couch watching Giles stoke the fire.  When he turned to find her watching him, he titled his head in a silent question.  She took a deep breath and patted the seat next to her, stating that she had something to tell him.

 

The smile he gave her when she told him that she was expecting their first child made everything that they had been through seem not so bad. 

 

 

~ End

 

Return to Album Fic Index

 

Return to Fic Index