Title:  Girl Like That

Author:  Froxyn

Rating:  FRAO

Pairing:  Buffy/Giles

Timeline:  S6’ish, no Spike, no depressed Buffy, Giles never left.  AU.

Synopsis:  Buffy and Giles discuss one of her concerns.

Author’s Note:  Album fic.  Song and lyrics can be found here.

 

 

Giles watched her slam a stake into the vampire’s heart...and then heard her heavy sigh as she watched the ashes fall.  When she made her way back to his side, he could sense that her heart rate had not begun to slow as yet...one of the many perks of their bond.

 

“Are you alright, Buffy?”

 

She sighed again and nodded.  “You’d think after five years of patrols and dying two times I’d be...not scared.  But, I am...every night.”

 

Giles smiled warmly and brushed a dead leaf from her back.  “I’d be worried if you weren’t scared.”

 

“Huh?”

 

“Fear...especially in this job...it’s normal, Buffy.  If you weren’t afraid, that would mean that you didn’t care.  Think about Faith’s reaction to patrols.”

 

“Oh...”  She slipped her stake into her pocket and looked up at him.  “She didn’t care...but, that wasn’t her main problem.”

 

“No?”  He asked as they started walking towards the cemetery gate.  “What do you think her main problem was?  Besides the obvious homicidal tendencies, that is.”

 

Buffy chuckled and slipped her arm through his.  “She never listened to you.”

 

Giles snorted and pushed the gate open.  “Neither did you.”

 

“I hung on every word you said.”  She protested softly.  “I just couldn’t let you know that.”

 

He shook his head in amusement and led her to the car.  “You could’ve.  You just didn’t.”

 

“No...I couldn’t.”  She slid her hand into his and laced their fingers as she gazed into his eyes.  “If I had...you would’ve known my true feelings years ago.”

 

“Would that have been so very bad?”  He whispered, lifting his free hand to thread his fingers through her hair.

 

“Yeah...because I was seventeen.”  She stated with a smile.  “And the last thing I needed was my Watcher in jail for...”

 

He cut her off with a kiss, not caring that they were standing on the sidewalk on a busy Friday night.  When she pushed him against the car and attempted to deepen the kiss, he reluctantly pulled away and shook his head.

 

She licked her tingling lips and arched an eyebrow.  “Then you should take me home soon.  As in...now.”

 

He grinned and opened the car door for her.

 

* * *

 

“I wish it hadn’t taken us so long to get here.”  She whispered as she ran her hand down his bare chest before gently pushing him onto the bed.

 

“Are you referring to tonight?  Or...the four year build up to our current relationship?”  He asked with a smile, pulling her down with him.

 

She rolled her eyes playfully and placed a tender kiss on one of the scars on his chest.  “I think I’ll not even dignify that with an answer right now.”

 

His smile broadened as she lifted her eyes to his.  “I love you.”

 

Buffy inhaled sharply.  He didn’t say it often.  She never doubted the fact that he loved her and he showed her so many times each day just how much.  But the words didn’t leave his lips on a daily basis.  When she had questioned him, he explained that he didn’t want it to turn into just words.  And so when he did say it...it meant so much more.

 

“I love you too.  God, I love you so much...”  She whispered as she covered his mouth with hers.

 

He gently rolled their bodies and leaned over her, relishing the sensation of her nails scratching the back of his scalp as he stroked her tongue with his.  She moved her hand down his back, grazing her nails over his ribs.  He groaned as he lifted his head and moved between her thighs. 

 

“I’ve...I’ve never loved anyone as much as I love you, Buffy.”  He whispered emotionally as he brushed her hair back from her face.  “Please know this.”

 

Tears filled her eyes as she nodded slowly.  “I do.”

 

He smiled and kissed her softly as he pushed his erection into her.

 

They had been through so much to get here.  Her seemingly utter disregard for him, their distrust of each other, his near-dependency on alcohol...

 

In fact, he had been drunk the first time he kissed her...pushing her against the wall and shoving his tongue into her mouth as she clawed at his shirt.  They had had sex that night...a drunken romp that left her body sated but her heart aching for more.

 

A month later, he had looked into her eyes and professed his love for her.  And that night she had helped him rid the house of alcohol...and then they had made love.  When he held her afterwards, his hands lovingly caressing her body...the aching in her heart had stopped. 

 

He hadn’t had a drink, other than an occasional beer, in well over six months.  Their bond had intensified over those months and now they were stronger than they had ever been.

 

Her hands gripped his back tightly as he moved within her.  His breath was hot against her skin as he continued speaking softly into her ear.  Her nails dug into his skin, drawing blood, as he once again whispered his love for her. 

 

He gave a deep groan as he felt her inner muscles tighten around him as she quickly approached orgasm.  He held on until he heard her call out his name, felt her warm fluids bathe his cock...and then he cried out her name and came deep within her.

 

She held him tightly as their breaths came in heavy pants and their hearts pounded in time with one another.  When he carefully moved to her side and placed a warm, tender kiss on her lips, she sighed and looked into his eyes.

 

“What’s up?”

 

“Hm?”  He murmured, lazily running his fingers along her spine as she snuggled into his side and rested her head on his shoulder.

 

“In the past twenty minutes you’ve said ‘I love you’ more than you have in the past two weeks.”  She kissed his chest and draped her leg over his.  “What’s up?”

 

Before he could give her an answer, she lifted her head and stared at him...sudden fear in her eyes.  “You’re not sick, are you?”

 

He offered her a loving smile and shook his head.  “No, darling.  I’m not sick.”

 

She relaxed at his words and rubbed his chest with her fingers.  “But...you never say it that much.  Not that I mind, because I don’t...it’s just...not like you and – ”

 

“I want to spend the rest of my life with you, Buffy.”  He interrupted her and ran his fingers through her sweat-dampened hair.  When her eyes widened, he smiled nervously.  “I...I want to buy a house for us...fill up the extra bedrooms with children.  I want to eventually close the Hellmouth and take you home to England with me.  You’d love it there, Buffy...our children would – ”

 

His words ended abruptly as she kissed him. 

 

At one time he'd thought that any love at all was better than nothing.  Then he had fallen in love with his Slayer and realized that there was nothing better than loving her.  He had the brief thought that he should thank her for showing that to him.  And then she climbed on top of him and settled her warm core over his quickly stirring erection.

 

He’d thank her later.

 

 

~ End

 

Return to Album Fic Index

 

Return to Fic Index