Title:  Talk

Author:  Froxyn

Rating:  FRT

Pairing:  Buffy/Giles

Timeline:  AU, pick a season.

Synopsis:  Buffy has her ideas of the future…and now she wants to know Giles’ ideas.

Author’s Note:  Album fic.  Song and lyrics can be found here.

 

 

 

Buffy sighed heavily, curled up into the corner of Giles’ couch with a cup of tea cradled in her hands.  She stared at the cup, her thumb idly stroking the ceramic rim.

 

“Do you ever think about the future?”

 

Giles thought for a moment, taking a sip of his tea before nodding.  “Some aspects of it, yes.”

 

“What do you see?”

 

He turned towards her at the sound of sadness in her voice, resting his back against the arm of the couch.  “What do you mean?”

 

She shrugged a shoulder and lifted the cup, blowing a puff of air over the hot liquid.  “I don’t know.  When you think about the future, what do you see in it?  Do you see kids, pets…a nice house in the middle of nowhere?  Or do you see death, destruction, and mayhem?”

 

He arched an eyebrow at her.  “Buffy?”

 

“See, when I daydream…I see kids, pets, and a nice house.  But, it’s all just a daydream, isn’t it?  I mean…the real future is that I’ll die at the hands of some demon.  Besides, Slayers don’t have children.  And…evil will always exist.”  She took a drink of the tea and glanced at him before lowering her eyes again.  “I was just wondering what you see.”

 

“Slayers have been known to have children, Buffy.  It’s just not a normal practice.  Is that what this is about?  You want a child?”

 

“No, not now anyway.  Besides, I’d have to be involved with someone and…”  She shook her head gently.  “I just want a normal life…”

 

Giles leaned over, placing his cup on the coffee table.  “I think that what most people would dream of as a normal life is nonexistent.  And, I believe that normality is relative.”

 

When she furrowed her brow, he smiled softly.

 

“Your future is not set in stone, Buffy.  You can do whatever you want, be whoever you want to be…do things you never thought you would, or could, do…”

 

“No, I can’t.”  She whispered sadly.

 

“And why do you think you can’t?”

 

“I’m the Slayer, Giles.  Everyone knows that Slayers are always missing some important piece of their lives.  I mean, most Slayers missed growing up with loving parents…can you imagine what I would’ve been like if they had taken me away from Mom?”

 

Giles lowered his eyes, remembering an alternate universe Buffy that he had come into contact with at one time.  “Yes, I can.  And had it not been for your mother, I’m not sure you would’ve survived as long as you have.”

 

“Something’s always missing, Giles.  I’m like a big Buffy puzzle and pieces go missing once in a while.”

 

“I think we all feel like that at times.  I know that I do…fairly often, in fact.”

 

She looked up at him and raised an eyebrow.  “You feel like a big Buffy puzzle?”

 

He chuckled softly at her teasing tone.  “Rather like a big Giles puzzle.”

 

She finished off her tea and placed her empty cup on the lamp table behind her.  “What’s your missing piece?”

 

“At the moment?”  When she nodded, he sighed and looked into her eyes.  “You.”

 

Her eyes widened in surprise.  “What?”

 

“You are my missing piece, Buffy.”

 

“You mean…as your Slayer?”  She asked hesitantly, fearing his answer would be ‘yes’.

 

“You have always been an exemplary Slayer, even at your most trying times.” 

 

Her brow furrowed as she tilted her head to the left.  “So…”

 

“You as the Slayer have always held the biggest piece of my puzzle.  After all, I trained most of my life to be able to guide you through this war.  My puzzle doesn’t contain many pieces, Buffy.  Slayer, Watcher, music, books, love…”

 

“Okay, so if me as the Slayer is there…me as what is missing?”

 

“What piece are you missing, Buffy?”  He asked instead of answering her, his green eyes boring into her hazel ones.

 

“The piece that could give me a normal life.”  Not diverting her eyes from his.  “Me as what is your missing piece?”

 

His eyes darted to her lips as she spoke.  “I possibly should be frightened that I understood that question.”

 

“I think you should talk to me.”  She whispered.

 

“I rather think I am.”  He responded with a smile.  “But, perhaps…you should elaborate on what you’re feeling at the moment.”

 

“I don’t know where I’m going.”  She stated, a slight tremble in her voice.  “But, I know I want you to be there…”

 

“Me?” 

 

“God, Giles…you’re my missing piece.  Don’t you get that?”  She groaned in exasperation.  “You may not see me as anything more than your Slayer, but – ”

 

He moved towards her, placing his right hand on the side of her face as he cut her off with a kiss.  It started out as a kiss merely to calm her as she grew more agitated, but quickly grew into something much more.  When he felt her fingers begin to tug at his shirt, he reluctantly pulled back and covered her hands with his.

 

He gazed into her eyes and took a shuddering breath.  He brought her hands to his lips and gently kissed her knuckles. 

 

“You as my love…that piece is the one that’s missing, Buffy.”

 

She inhaled sharply at his whispered statement.

 

“We…we could complete each other’s puzzles, Buffy.  If you want, that is.  I…I wouldn’t dream of pushing you towards something that you’re – ”

 

It was his turn to be interrupted, but he didn’t complain.  Instead, he slipped his arms around her as she nudged her tongue into his mouth.

 

He was quite certain that they needed to talk further about this development in their relationship. But, as her fingers combed through his hair, he decided that they would have plenty of time for talk later.  He wouldn’t let things go too far…and, though it would be difficult, he’d maintain control of the situation. 

 

Her right hand moved to his neck, her nails lightly scratching at his nape, and he felt his control slip a notch.  He pulled away slowly, gasping for breath as he looked into her eyes.

 

“We…should talk…”

 

She smiled and gave him a nod, pushing him back against the cushions as she climbed onto his lap.  “Yeah, we should…but, later.  Right now…you need to kiss me.”

 

“Buffy…”  He started, sighing as she leaned down and placed a line of warm kisses along his jaw.  “We’re moving too fast.”

 

“We’re just kissing, Giles…we’re not making love.”  She pulled back and smiled warmly, her thumb caressing the outer shell of his ear.  “Yet.”

 

“Not tonight.”  He whispered thickly, his eyes serious. 

 

She shook her head slowly.  “No, not tonight.  But soon.”

 

He nodded in agreement, his body relaxing somewhat underneath her.  As she lowered her lips to his once more, he felt the missing piece of his puzzle snap into place.  He sighed contentedly and then moved his hands to her hips.

 

They wouldn’t make love, and he was in agreement with that decision.  But, he had no problems with letting her know how she affected him physically. 

 

He smiled inwardly as she groaned.

 

Later, when they would have their talk, he’d ask her if her piece was still missing as well.  Judging by the renewed fervor of her kisses, he was fairly certain that it wasn’t.

 

 

~ End 

 

Return to Album Fic Index

 

Return to Fic Index