Title:  Glass of Water

Author:  Froxyn

Rating:  FRM

Pairing:  Buffy/Giles

Timeline: S6’ish, AU.  Buffy didn’t die, Dawn doesn’t exist.

Synopsis:  Half glasses of water confuse Buffy.

Author’s Note:  Album fic.  Song and lyrics can be found here.

 

 

“Half full, half empty…does it really matter if there’s only half a glass of water there anyway?”

 

Giles looked at her over the rim of his glasses.  “I’m sorry?”

 

Buffy sighed heavily, waving her hand in the air.  “Nothing, don’t mind me.  Just the nonsensical mutterings of a madwoman.”

 

Closing the book and removing his glasses, he sat back and regarded her carefully.  “I highly doubt that.  I think something is obviously bothering you.”

 

“It’s this whole thing about how you see things in life…whether you see your glass as half full or half empty.”

 

“Ah.”  He replied cryptically, chewing lightly on the end of his glasses. 

 

“What’s that mean?”

 

“How do you see your glass, Buffy?”

 

Buffy groaned and threw her hands up in the air as she slumped onto the couch next to him.  “That’s the thing…I don’t see it at all.  I see it as a half a glass of water!”

 

Giles smiled and turned towards her.  “I had a friend once…”

 

“Really?” 

 

He rolled his eyes and continued.  “This friend told me that you could read your future in a glass of water.”

 

Buffy stared at him incredulously.  “And you believed him, of course.”

 

Giles stood up and walked into the kitchen, continuing the conversation as he pulled a glass down from the cabinet.  “The future was read differently depending on whether you saw the glass as half full or half empty.”

 

“Confusing much?”  Buffy grumbled.

 

He chuckled and filled the glass with water before making his way back into the living room.  She arched an eyebrow at him as he handed her the glass and reclaimed his seat next to her.

 

“What am I supposed to do with this?”

 

“Drink.”  He answered softly.  “Not all of it…just…”

 

“Half of it?”  She guessed, amusement showing in her eyes as he nodded. 

 

She did as he requested and then looked at him expectantly.  He took the glass, allowing his fingers to linger over hers for a moment.  He smiled inwardly when he felt her light shudder.

 

“It’s said that if you look at the ripples in the water after drinking from the glass, you can see certain aspects in them.”

 

“Yeah, okay…like what?”

 

He shrugged a shoulder, smiling enigmatically at her.  “I never saw anything in mine.”

 

Buffy laughed and shook her head.  Her attention on the glass wavered…just long enough for him to drop something into the water. 

 

“What did you want to see in it?”

 

“Heaven.”  He answered, handing the glass back to her.  “Not literal heaven, of course…but, figuratively.  Love, happiness…I wanted to see that my life was not destined to be consumed by books and evil.”

 

Buffy’s laughter waned.  “Giles…”

 

He waved off her concern and gestured to the glass.  “Tell me what you see in yours…”

 

She started to protest, but then decided to play along.  She looked into the glass and narrowed her eyes.

 

“What the…”

 

Giles smiled as she fished the key out of the water.  “Move in with me, Buffy.”

 

Her eyes widened as she looked at him.  “What?”

 

“I want to fall asleep with you every night…wake up with you every morning.  I want to grumble about your toothpaste in the sink, your mass amounts of bottles littering the bathroom.  I want to cook for you, run your bath after a hard patrol.  I want…I want to live with you.”  He swallowed as he lifted his hand and tenderly stroked her cheek.  “Please, Buffy…move in with me.”

 

She curled her fingers around the key, tears springing to her eyes as she nodded emphatically.  “Okay.”

 

“Don’t worry about whether the glass is half full or half empty.  You can’t live in the past…that’ll get you nowhere.”  He lightly tapped her hand with his index finger and smiled.  “This is the future…our future, together.  Or the beginning of it, at any rate.”

 

Buffy considered his words and then smiled lovingly at him.  “Heaven.”

 

He tilted his head slightly, rubbing his thumb over the back of her hand.  “I’m sorry?”

 

“You asked me to tell you what I saw in my glass of water.”  She licked her lips, her smile growing as his eyes took in the action.  “I saw heaven in mine.”

 

“Oh…”  He whispered, leaning towards her.  “Heaven?”

 

“Yeah…”  She glanced at his lips and then caught his gaze again.  “God, you so need to kiss me.”

 

He nodded in agreement, moistening his lips with the tip of his tongue.  “I…need to do more than kiss you, Buffy.”

 

“Here?  Now?”  She asked, shivering as he deftly unbuttoned her blouse.

 

“Here, there…”  He gestured towards the loft with a jerk of his thumb.  “Wherever you want.  But, most definitely now.”

 

He parted her blouse, lowering his mouth to the soft swell of her breast.  “Are you okay with that?”

 

“Uh-huh…”  Buffy murmured, sliding her fingers into his hair as he flicked the clasp of her bra open.  “Who was the friend?”

 

“Hm?”  He glanced at her face as he gently rolled a hardened nipple between his fingers. 

 

“The…oh, God…”  Her fingers tightened in his hair.  “Giles…”

 

“I love you, Buffy.”  Giles whispered against her skin, moving his fingers to the button of her jeans.  “I love you so much.”

 

“I love you too.”  She replied, curling her fingers in back of his sweater and tugging it up. 

 

He paused his touches and kisses long enough for her to pull the sweater up and over his head, smiling as she threw it to the floor.  He hooked his fingers in her belt loops as she pulled his belt free.

 

“Randall.”

 

She furrowed her brow, meeting his eyes as her hands stilled.  “What?”

 

“Randall was the friend.  He…it was a stupid thing, really.  Ethan and I had had an argument over his girlfriend…”

 

“Whose girlfriend?”

 

“Ethan’s.”  Giles smiled shyly.  “At least she was until he walked into my bedroom one morning.”

 

“Giles!”  Buffy grinned, sliding the zipper of his jeans down. 

 

“Anyway…”  He cleared his throat before he continued.  “Randall tried to take my mind off of things…and came up with the idea of reading my future in a glass of water.”

 

“And how did it work?”  She asked, lifting her hips as he pulled her jeans down.

 

“Well enough that I remembered it tonight.”  He answered with a warm smile. 

 

“You really want me to live with you?” 

 

He nodded, gently pushing her back until she was lying on the couch.  Leaning over her, he kissed her again.

 

“I really want you here with me…”

 

She glanced at the half glass of water resting on the coffee table and then smiled adoringly at him.  “You’ll help me move my stuff, right?”

 

He answered her with a bright smile.

 

 

~ End

 

Return to Album Fic Index

 

Return to Fic Index