Title:  We Never Change

Author:  Froxyn

Rating:  FRAO (lightish)

Pairing:  Buffy/Giles

Timeline:  S5’ish, no Dawn, no Riley.

Synopsis:  Giles has wishes, but doesn’t make them.

Author’s Note:  Album fic.  Song and lyrics can be found here.  Special thanks to wyvernwolf!

 

 

Buffy opened her eyes, confused as to why she was awake.  The room was still bathed in darkness.  She snuggled closer to the warm body beside of her and sleepily kissed the shoulder.  When she felt the warm hand gently rub her back, she realized that he was awake.

 

“Giles?”

 

“Yes?”  He answered softly, with no hint of sleep in his voice.

 

She lifted her head and squinted as her eyes adjusted to the dark and she could see him.  “Why are you awake?  And…have you even gone to sleep?”

 

He turned his head towards her and smiled.  “No, I haven’t…at least, not tonight.”

 

“Are you okay?”

 

He stroked his fingers down her spine in a comforting gesture when he heard the concern in her voice.  “Yes, love…I’m fine.  I was just thinking.”

 

“What about?”  She asked as she sat up next to him.

 

His eyes darted to her bare breasts as her fingers idly stroked the hair on his chest.  He was fairly certain that she wasn’t even conscious of her action.  He was conscious of his though, as he lifted his left hand and gently traced her nipple with his fingertip. 

 

He smiled as she trembled.  “Youth.”

 

“Mine?”  She questioned, sighing as his fingers glided down her stomach.  “Because…we’ve had this discussion before…”

 

“Mine, actually.”  He replied, sliding his fingers to her hip.  “Particularly, the things I wanted as a child.  Not toys, but what I wanted for myself when I became an adult.”

 

“What did you want?”  She asked on a whisper as she carefully straddled his hips, smiling inwardly when she felt his cock twitch beneath her.

 

“A normal life.  A house in the English country, picket fence, a wife, a few children, two dogs, and a cat.”

 

“Instead, you got an apartment on a hellmouth with pavers and no fence, some teenagers who have no respect for your privacy, a vampire for a pet…”

 

“And you.”  He added with adoration as he gazed up at her.  “For some reason, unbeknownst to me, the Gods graced me with your love.  And that is worth more than any dream I could have had as a child.”

 

“Giles…”

 

“My life is normal, Buffy…for a Watcher in love with his Slayer.  And Willow and Xander are learning respect when it comes to privacy…”

 

Buffy snorted.  “Yeah, because I threatened them…and taught you how to actually lock your door.”

 

“Yes, well…we both know the reason for my reluctance to lock the door.”

 

She nodded as she leaned forward, brushing her lips over his.  “Yeah…but, it can be locked when we’re both here…”

 

“And…I haven’t had a pet vampire in nearly a year.  He wasn’t all that cuddly anyway.”

 

Buffy chuckled, moving her lips to his neck as she rocked her hips against him.  “What about me?  Am I cuddly?”

 

He groaned and rolled their bodies until she was lying beneath him.  “The cuddliest.” 

 

She grinned at him, wrapping her legs around his waist as she lovingly caressed the side of his face.  “I love you.”

 

“I love you too.” 

 

“But…you didn’t want this life.  You ran from it.”

 

He placed a tender kiss on her lips and shook his head.  “No…I probably would have chosen this, but I wasn’t given the choice.  And that’s why I ran.  Not because of what I was to become…but because of why.”

 

“Do you ever wish we could change this?”

 

“We never change, Buffy.”  He answered softly.  “No matter what happens, you’ll be the Slayer…and I’ll be a Watcher.”

 

The Watcher.”  She corrected quickly.  “If you insist on calling me the Slayer, then you have to deal with being the Watcher.”

 

He chuckled and shifted his hips forward, sliding his erection over her clitoris.  She groaned and scratched her nails over the back of his neck.

 

“What…what else did you want?”

 

He thought for a moment as he smiled.  “I just wanted to live, make friends, fall in love…”

 

“And now?”  She whispered as he slowly pushed his cock into her.  “God…”

 

“Now?”  He sighed at the sensation of her warmth surrounding him.  “Now I want to live, with you…and only you…for the rest of my life.  And…I want to buy a house for us…have our friends over…watch our children play in the yard with the dogs…while the cat sits on the porch pretending to ignore everything and everyone.”

 

Buffy gasped, her legs sliding from his hips as she cradled his face in both of her hands.  “Giles?”

 

“I can still have everything I wanted as a child.”  He whispered, his eyes glistening with emotion as he looked into her eyes.  “I can have those things with you…only we’d have a house near a Hellmouth instead of the English countryside.”

 

“Are…are you asking me to, uh…marry you?”

 

He licked his lips and took a deep breath.  “I rather think I am.”

 

“And…you want children with me?”  She asked, her voice catching on the words.

 

“Yes, I do.”  He whispered, leaning down to kiss her again.  “I would want children with you whether we’re married or not.”

 

He lifted his head, concern showing in his eyes as he watched a tear fall from the corner of her eye and slide down the side of her face to be absorbed by the pillowcase. 

 

“Buffy?”

 

“No, no…happy tears, Giles.  It’s just…I didn’t know how to tell you…and I didn’t know how you would react…and…”

 

His brow furrowed in confusion as he pulled back, stifling his groan as his cock slid from her.  Before she could protest, he spoke quickly.

 

“Slow down, love.  Tell me what?  React to what?  Are you…are you alright?”

 

“I…”  She exhaled slowly and reached for his hand. 

 

He looked down as she placed his hand on her stomach, his palm resting just below her navel.  “Buffy…”

 

“We, uh…we’re having a baby, Giles.”

 

She watched the different emotions flicker across his face.  She became nervous when she saw the shock and disbelief.  She bit her lip when she saw the fear.  Another tear escaped when he inhaled sharply, a small smile appearing on his lips as he gently stroked his fingers over her stomach.

 

“A baby?”  He met her eyes and she then saw the confusion underneath the elation.  “But…you’re still…”

 

“On the pill, yeah.”  She sighed and raised her hand, gliding her fingers along his jaw.  “I’m not sure how it happened…I guess the pill isn’t one hundred percent effective…just like it says in the fact sheets that come with them.”

 

He tilted his head slightly and turned his head, kissing her fingers.  “This is why you were so distracted this evening?”

 

She nodded slowly.  “We…haven’t really discussed children…”

 

“No…no, we haven’t.  Do you, uh…you do want the baby?”

 

Her eyes widened as she realized what it was he was asking.  “God, yes Giles.  The thought of not having it never crossed my mind.”

 

He breathed a sigh of relief and shifted just enough to place a warm kiss on her abdomen.  And when she heard him whisper a soft ‘hello’, her heart swelled with more love for him than she thought possible.

 

At that moment, she knew that though they couldn’t change their lives…their callings…they could live happily ever after.  And she knew that Giles would do everything possible to make sure that they had a happily ever after.

 

“Giles?”

 

“Hm?”  He murmured as he moved back up and covered her body once more.  “What is it?”

 

“Yes.”  She answered simply, sliding her hands down his back as she pressed her knees against his sides.  “If you were asking, that’s my answer.”

 

His smile lit up his eyes as he pushed his hips forward, entering her once again.  “Pick a date.”

 

She opened her mouth to give him a sarcastic response of some type.  However, a moan took its place as he began to thrust his hips.  As his lips found her neck, she decided that sarcasm could wait.

 

She had the rest of her life to share her sarcasm with him.

 

 

~ End

 

Return to Album Fic Index

 

Return to Fic Index